Lemongrass Chili Chicken (or Tofu) Cooked In Young Coconut Juice
Feb 12, 2019
Helloooo my loves!
It's been a minute since I've been here delivering the goods on nutrition, recipes and sharing my experiences as a past IBS sufferer!
To be honest (cause that's my jam) I've been busy getting re-inspired by food...Yes, even holistic nutritionists and wellness coaches lose their mojo.
So, like any dedicated sprout, I look for the opportunity when I'm in a jam. I had "the talk" with my boyfriend, noting that we were in a food-rut and needed to source inspiration (or else!). We came up with a twinned desire to travel to South East Asia... Vietnamese food is where we landed, so prep yo-selves for some bright, delicious, refreshing and simple recipes coming your way.
Today's dish is filled with flavourful, immune-boosting, hydrating and soul quenching ingredients. It is not ideal for low FODMAP-ers, though works well for the Detox portion of our 12-Week Gut Restore Program.
It is of course gluten and dairy free! For more info on how we coach people who suffer from IBS and SIBO, reach out anytime!
I hope you love it as much as my family and I have.
Lemongrass Chili Chicken (or Tofu)
Cooked In Young Coconut Juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 lemongrass stalks (white part only), finely diced
- 2 long red chiles, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 pound chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup young coconut juice
- 2 spring onions, sliced in 3-inch pieces
- 3 coriander (cilantro) sprigs for garnish
- Steamed jasmine rice, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and fish sauce, and mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add half of the lemongrass, half of the chile, half of the garlic and the chicken pieces. Coat the chicken, then let it marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight for a better
- Heat a large saucepan or wok over medium heat, add the oil and remaining lemongrass and cook for 1 minute. Then add the garlic, shallots, chile, and fry until fragrant and slightly brown.
- Turn the heat to high, then add the chicken searing all sides until browned, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Add the onions and coconut juice, and cover with a lid. Cook the mixture over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced by half. Remove the lid, add the scallions and cook 1 minute more.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, garnish with coriander (cilantro) and eat with jasmine rice.
From my inspired kitchen to yours,
Cassandra Hope, RHN
Get Access to the Quick and Simple Guide To Help Support Bloating, IBS & SIBO
Feel better with IBS & SIBO. A simple guide to reduce bloating, improve gut motility and boost energy so you can start getting relief today.