4-Ingredient Healthy Marshmallow Recipe
Dec 11, 2017
I couldn't be more excited about a sweet treat that's gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free. This homemade marshmallow recipe is an incredibly sneaky sweet treat because it's PACKED with
gut healing nutrients and herbs and it 100% tastes like the ones you'd get at the store.
I love having these on top of my gut healing Chaga Elixir or you could coat them with chocolate and add your favourite toppings.
Looking for something fun to do with the kids in your fam this
Christmas (or next summer!)? Yup, this one is way too fun to not make with the kiddos.
Let's chat for a minute about gut healing properties of this delicious treat:
- Repairs the gut lining, preventing leaky gut syndrome
- Reduces digestive complaints
- Lowers inflammation
- Reduces water retention
- Improves gut health and digestion
- Protects joints and lowers joint pain
- Helps improve sleep quality
- Lifts your mood and improves cognitive abilities
- Helps you feel full
- Reduces ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders
- Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
- Helps regulate blood sugar
There is absolutely nothing about this recipe that is unhealthy. You can enjoy this guilt and symptom-free!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have this season :)
4 Ingredient Homemade Marshmallows
(by Wellness Mama)
- a small sauce pan
- a hand mixer & a metal bowl (or a KitchenAid mixer if you have one)
- 1 TBSP marshmallow root
- 4 TBSP of pasture-raised gelatin powder
- 1 cup of water (divided)
- 1 cup of honey (or maple syrup if on low FODMAP diet)
- 2 tsp vanilla or other flavor option
- 4 probiotic capsules (optional)
- Combine 1 cup of warm water with 1T of marshmallow root (or 1 sachet of marshmallow root tea) and let sit for 5 minutes. Make sure that the liquid still makes up 1 cup. Pour 1/2 of prepared marshmallow root tea into the metal bowl or mixer bowl. Add the gelatin. Whisk slightly to incorporate and let sit.
- Pour the other 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of honey into the small saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Bring the water and honey mixture to a boil while stirring. If you have a kitchen thermometer you want it to reach at least 120 degrees celsius. If you don't have a kitchen thermometer, just keep boiling, stirring constantly for 8 minutes.
- Pour the honey/water mixture into the bowl with the gelatin mix (which will be hardened by now). Use stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed to whip as the honey mixture is added.
- When honey mix is added, turn the mixer to high and blend with the mixer for another 5-10 minutes OR until it forms a stiff cream like the consistency of marshmallow cream. (It should form gentle peaks.)
- Add the probiotics and any flavor ingredients for the last 2 minutes of mixing.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish or spring form pan with coconut oil or line with parchment paper, leaving some on the sides to be able to pull up.
- When marshmallows are whipped pour into the lined/greased dish and smooth evenly.
- Let sit at least 4 hours (overnight is better).
- Flip onto a cutting board and cut with a well-oiled pizza cutter or knife.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter.
- Do NOT store in the fridge as they will melt. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- The probiotics will decrease the shelf life to 3-4 days. Without the probiotics, these will last 2-3 weeks on the counter.
Be sure to check out our how-to video here!
From my fun and healthy kitchen to yours,
Cassandra Hope, RHN and founder
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.